[development] #drupal and #drupal-contribute split (Was: Re: Proposal: Move all dev support off this list to new StackExchange site)

Sam Tresler sam at treslerdesigns.com
Sat Mar 19 17:56:28 UTC 2011

I actually found this response to be really constructive.  Thank you.

Dragging us back to the original idea of this thread of splitting *this* list into support and devel, personally, there isn't enough traffic to this list to warrant that.  If we get to 10+ messages a day about support I think the conversation should be revisited.  However, given that this email list isn't really where developers are attempting to get focused discussion feedback, I say no, let's not create another piece of infrastructure (that needs to be managed and maintained by someone, no matter how easy).

We've journeyed into the IRC realm.  Oddly, it is a lot like my block in Brooklyn.  We can have a barbecue in the community garden, but if you don't actually go across the street and invite the people on the stoop they'll just sit there and feel outcast - even though the community garden is open to the public and we have a big sign saying everyone is welcome!  You do need to shovel some manure to be a part of it though.

Webchick is right, it's a shame that she can pull those IRC logs and see that #drupal was dead during the d7 release.  Merlinofchaos is right - you can't get jack done when you're being constantly barraged with in person requests and it sucks to have to tell people No. Someone, I can't recall who right now, suggested a community manager, and I think it is that plus some.  One thing I find notably absent in that IRC log is anyone jumping into #drupal and saying, "Hey, We just released D7!"  I could even argue that the congratulatory conversation in #drupal-contribute was off topic.  What was the issue number associated to it?

Until fairly recently we had it easy.  Community just happened, because we were small.  I think the real issue at hand here is that we've grown to big for community to 'just happen' and we are trying to approach as an issue that we can fix.  We can't.  It's a maintenance issue.  If this were a server farm we would never say - Hey we just fixed security for the servers so we can check it off the list and not ever worry about it again.  It's a constant monitoring and maintenance job that is currently no one's responsibility (that I know of).

A) We need a community outreach person.
B) We need to personally make a point of sharing the community-wide events with the community, not just the people to our left and right.
C) Support is an aspect of this, but not the crux.  Quite a few initiatives are already underway on that front.

Finally, as a thought experiment, I'm going to try thinking up a IRC handle extension for myself.  stresler-support / stresler-busy.  Or some such.  If my name is stresler-busy and someone thinks it is OK to approach me with a support question, then I don't think I'll feel so bad about telling them to ask someone who isn't "-busy".  Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

-Sam

Sam Tresler
646-246-8403