[development] Drupal 7 - views

Anth malkouna at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 2 00:53:09 UTC 2011

On 6:59 AM, Iain William Wiseman wrote:
> On 2/05/2011 12:26 p.m., Ms. Nancy Wichmann wrote:
>> Name calling serves no one any good.
>> Different people learn in different ways. I, too, am one who learns
>> better by doing, so examples are beneficial, especially if they even
>> remotely relate to my issue. And, yes, I even occasionally try to "do
>> before reading" because a solution without a problem seems to be the
>> tail wagging the dog.
>> But when it comes time to read, I do so. Unfortunately, computers
>> only do what you tell them to do, so searching requires the correct
>> terms, and Views docs, in particular, are filled with terms that
>> don't trip off the fingers of the uninitiated readily. That's
>> no slight to Mr. Miles at all; he writes concisely. In my initial
>> response, I gave Mr. Wiseman, the term "relationship" with which to
>> search, hoping that it would get him to the docs he needed. Since I
>> was just waking up and needed to get ready for church, I didn't have
>> time to find the article for him.
>> Mr. Wiseman, in case you didn't know, Mr. Miles is known as
>> "Merlinofchaos" on Drupal.org; strike a bell?
>> I think there might be one other bit of reading that you might want
>> to do: the description of these lists. In contrast to what Mr.
>> Favia wrote, it seems to me that this question should have been in
>> the Support list as it does not deal with the development of Drupal
>> itself.
>>
>> /*Nancy*/
>>
>> Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. -- Dr. Martin
>> L. King, Jr.
>>

> Thank Nancy,
>
> So development of drupal modules which are not part of the core go to
> support - I did not know this so thanks.
>
> Will be looking a views again tonight (day job to do!). I am looking
> into helping out port LinkedIn to Drupal 7 but felt I might be best
> just getting a simple view/database module going first. I do have on
> question with regard to building the code though, is there a standard
> approach to where to put the bits. I understand .install and .info but
> where how to split up the pages seems unclear to me.
>
> Iain

Iain,

It's not the clearest distinction at times with regard to the mailing
lists, I fell for it too.  The distinction I work with is development is
for development *of* Drupal, and support covers development *with*
Drupal (as well as a plethora of other things).

As far as docs go, there are degrees. Examples are part of the
documentation and the part that I, personally, would go to first. I
wouldn't tell anyone to read an API document from top to bottom, it's
something you delve into when you've exhausted all the high level stuff
or if you need a level of detail not covered by generic examples.

Malks.