[drupal-docs] Admin help longs to be read by skilled Drupal user

Kieran Lal kieran at civicspacelabs.org
Sun May 29 02:52:04 UTC 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 7:41 AM, Anisa wrote:

> Can we make the titles shorter?

Yes, shorter is better, except when less comprehensible.  As you can
tell, I just plain ran out of clever things to say by the time I got
to the S's.  I'll make your suggested changes and any one else's
suggested changes for handbook titles.

> For example:
> blocks: sidebar content
> blog: a blog for every user

Blog was the most looked up word in 2004, I suspect that lot's of
folks will read this as, blah: blah for every user.

> comment: allow comments on content (<- this sucks but is better than
> discussion boards for nodes ;p)
> Locale: multi-language support
> Node: all content
> Search: search your site

Should you use the word that you are trying to elaborate on.  I guess
it's ok.

> There are a couple of others that stand out as needing to be a bit
> better.  Ie, Taxonomy, Path, *BOOK*.

Book got orphaned.  I'll see what I can do. I'll try and rewrite
Taxonomy and Path.

> The statistics title is cute, but...

not as good as what you were going to suggest....

> Where was that wiki again?  ^.^;;

It died the death of being an inferior solution.

>   Maybe I don't have much right to
> complain because I didn't help much (it's a rare day I leave work
> before
> 9 pm these days >.<  working 12 hour days at 23, where's the
> justice in
> that? ;p),

Oh please, you are a slave driver. ("Can we write some documentation
now!?")

> but there is a *lot* of unnecessarily technical language in
> there, and references to things the end user may not know, and for
> Drupal purposes, does not need to know.

Ok, tell me and I'll remove it or rewrite it.

> Drupal loads a little slow when I go to the edit page, I wonder why
> that is.
>
> What to do with unresolved comment questions that are really support
> questions in disguise?

So one of the great things about being in charge or volunteering is
you get to do stuff, like go through the handbook and delete
comments.  Have fun!

> Path describes the permissions associated with the module, but other
> help texts do not.  Useful feature.
Yeah, I decided to not include permissions in the admin help for now
because it was so redundant, although not obvious.  The exception is
Node Privacy By Role which requires not just permissions but is
disabled unless explicitly enabled in it's administration interface
which is not the norm.

> Somehow I think this could all be made more readable...

Absolutely.  Ideally this would the first of many iterations, just
like Drupal itself.

Cheers,
Kieran