[documentation] Problem with MIME magic and solution

Richard Archer drupal.org at juggernaut.com.au
Thu Jan 5 02:29:15 UTC 2006

At 12:16 PM -0500 4/1/06, Morbus Iff wrote:

>> it's not obvious what's wrong. The problem here is that Apache (not
>> Drupal!) MIME magic module is not configured correctly. The solution,
>
>Could we have more information on this, please, with specifically the
>details of how "Apache's MIME magic module is not configured correctly"?

I reported a problem with the new mime_magic feature, and I firmly
believe there is at least one bug in this new Drupal code.

My server is a pretty standard Fedora Core 3 box and by default
PHP is compiled with knowledge of MIME Magic but this apache
module is disabled. So I get errors thrown when uploading a file.

Even after (grudgingly - I don't want the overhead) enabling this
module I get errors thrown by this section of code. It appears to
me that the file is being processed and deleted from /tmp and
then processed again (and sometimes a third time) and the latter
occasions throw an error because the file does not exist.

My solution will be to hack the mime_magic call out of file.inc
on my Drupal installation once 4.7 is released and I roll it
out to my hosting environment.

 ...R.