[documentation] Hitchhikers guide to Drupal

Charlie Lowe cel4145 at cyberdash.com
Thu Jan 5 20:14:29 UTC 2006

Bèr Kessels wrote:

> Who ar ewe marketing for? I think we indeed agree that pure hitchhikers (=
> people who give nothing back) are indeed welcome, but purely because it does
> not matter if they use drupal.
>
> I think a marketing that aims at these people is a silly marketing. We
> absolutely do not need these people.
>
> So, I think it is not too negative to explain clearly how things are. We
> should try, indeed, at all points to market drupal at people who can and will
> contribute. In any way, but still contribute.

Right, but the text as it is currently written is negatively targeting
those people who don't. You never know. User X who doesn't contribute
may turn on a friend to Drupal who has a company and hires developers or
has his own people contribute (the friend might not be a contributor
either). The way that the hitchhiker text is currently written, it may
turn User X away. This statement doesn't seem very "welcoming":

"Users who don't contribute to Drupal are hitchhikers. Nobody needs them
onboard. Drupal will get from A to B fine with or without them . . ."

Plus, I do believe it could be taken to imply a non-user centric
interest on the part of the Drupal community. Thousands of Drupal site
users/members across the web do not contribute to Drupal. One might
interpret this to mean that they are hitchhikers and Drupal is not
interested in them. Drupal would "fine with or without them). Now I know
that this interpretation is arguable, but I could easily see some Drupal
site user seeing that statement and taking it that way.

Besides, no reason to be so negative when one of the goals of this page
is to stop some of the negativity.