[documentation] Babies, Spoons, Food and Funny Faces

themacgeek info at themacgeek.com
Fri Jan 6 22:24:44 UTC 2006

Based on reading doc-list archives, forum entries and and the current
active doc-list threads, I think I will table the idea for starting
the development of what I have called DTS (Drupal Training System).

Here are my thoughts about why I would say this:

1) In order to develop a structured training system, the base
documentation needs to be very solid.  If not for the entire doc
system, at least for the particular area that is going to be
initially developed (i.e. Newbie/Install/Initial Configuration).

2) I maybe mistaken in this statement, but I have yet to find a
Roadmap or structured plan for the documentation system itself.
While I realize there is a documentation project page (which tracks
bugs, feature requests, etc.), I think that a structured plan would
be very beneficial.

Upon developing this structured attack plan, I would suggest that a
serious effort be made to compartmentalize each of the specific
milestones (doc sections) and assign them based on a volunteer basis.
Once the milestones are assigned, get them completed in a very
defined manner rather than having so many people doing different
things at different times.

An example would be the following based on the current doc structure.:

1.0 - Open Discussion on [Drupal.org README first] (Limit to 3 day
discussion)
-1.1 - Define Changes [Drupal.org README first] (assistant of section
compiles changes)
-1.2 - Commit Changes [Drupal.org README first] (moderator of section
changes compiles changes)
-1.3 - Close Changes [Drupal.org README first] (reopen at a set
interval in the future - create a sandbox for future changes to be
committed at next opening session.)

Multiple sections could be opened and addressed to accommodate the
various people who have varied skills, experience and interests.

I realize that in a volunteer community, structuring the the forward
movement of something like this will be difficult, but it seems
necessary.  As someone who is very interested in helping, I am at a
loss where to start.  If I begin making edits, who do I post them
too? Will I be duplicating the work that someone else is already
doing?  What is more important, addressing docs on old versions,
current versions or the upcoming 4.7 release?

I realize some of these questions are probably answered in the doc
handbook, but my point is that the whole documentation systems seems
to be very unorganized from a newcomers perspective.

Please correct me if I am wrong and point me in the right direction.

themacgeek (Jamie)