[documentation] Babies, Spoons, Food and Funny Faces

Bèr Kessels ber at webschuur.com
Sun Jan 8 21:06:47 UTC 2006

Op zondag 08 januari 2006 19:16, schreef Spz Toid:
> AFAIK, the bar for video documentation has been set by Typo3:
> http://typo3.org/documentation/videos/

A personal note:
I got lulled into Ruby on Rails by their fancy video(s). Watching a coder code
up a site in 20 minutes. Naturally sceptical as I am, I was like yea, right.
But the video stayed with me. I mean, I have read hundreds of promises of fast
coding, quick development, hip coding.  But the video grabbed me. And got me
digging further.

Then, the fact that the video is not just yelling "yea mike, this
ShebangStainKiller can kill any stain, its AMAZINGG", but is actually true,
made me buy books, learn ruby, and quote my first Ruby on Rails projects (for
next month).

So, conclusion:
Videos are cool, they can get people in very fast.
But:
They need to be followed up by real live examples. We should make sure there
is no learning gap between a video getting your blog online in 5 minutes, and
actually setting up that blog. We must make sure that we actually do what
videos tell. Whether they are tuturials or promotional makes little
difference.

Bèr