[documentation] A New Approach to Drupal Tutorials

Nick Lewis nick at smartcampaigns.com
Mon Jan 16 18:22:34 UTC 2006

Boris Mann wrote:

> On 15-Jan-06, at 12:06 PM, Nick Lewis wrote:
>
>> Charlie, you must be pretty far ahead of your time. So what's a  good
>> next step? I could setup a proof of concept site today on my  server,
>> so that we're all on the same page in so far as what we're  building
>> and how it would work.
>>
>> I think moderation of the posts that come through would serve less
>> as a protectionary measure, and more as a way to keep the info well
>> organized. THe big weekness of feeding in posts, usually, is that  it
>> gets thrown together in a page of "blog barf"(as one of my  clients
>> called).
>

> Unless Dries buys into it as a change to be made, it's not a useful
> next step. I am not in favour of aggregation for this process, never
> mind that the aggregator2 codebase is crufty. So, you need to
> convince people that this is a good way to accomplish end goals (what
> are those again?) and then convince Dries to install (and maintain
> for all time) aggregator2 on Drupal.org

Point taken on aggregator2 codebase. So why hasn't anyone opened up the
story module? I'm not against the idea -- Frankly, it seems to be a
+self evident good idea+.

Plus, whatever solution I came up with, most likely it would be a mere
extension to a 1st step of opening up a new node type for this sort of
stuff.

> With my story method, you do a simple cut and paste to cross post, as
> well as re-categorize within the options chosen on Drupal.org. Not
> hard. I mean, I could set up a "proof of concept" with story
> nodes...but it's a core module and I think the process is pretty well
> understood...

I guess the observation is that lots of people are writing tutorials
outside of drupal.org, and not reposting them for a variety of reasons.
So the goal is to use RSS to feed them in, organize them, and basically
put our technology to work for us by doing the copy and pasting for us.