[support] Major site problems - what's going on?

Bruce Whealton brucewhealton at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 04:25:14 UTC 2007

Hello all,
          My site is doing a number of unusual things that I can't figure out.
   The newest problem is with creating book pages.  I almost think I should
  start over.  The site is that new.  I almost want to ditch what I have.
          I have an extra menu that doesn't show up at all on some themes...
  the menu looks different when I logoff as compared to when I am logged
  on the site.  I have menu links that take one to create content and tell the
  visitor that they don't have permission to do that or view that page.  I do
  have "access content" enabled for all users and visitors (anonymous users).
  Submenus would look best but they just aren't working on most themes.
  I tried the book module/node, creating a book page to use the inherent
  outline feature and links for books but I couldn't create the book page.
  I got an error.
      What could be going on here?  Can someone help?  I'll create a
  user account with permissions to see what is going on here if
  someone will check out the site.
  Here is what I wrote earlier.  This is what I mean by having major problems.
  Getting back to the **serious problems** with the site...  This is where I need help.
  Ok, I created a new menu, to go above the Navigation menu.  I called this Word Salad
  Poetry Magazine.  I think I had to create this as a custom block.  On most of my themes,
  the ones I added, that menu doesn't even show up at all!!
       Second problem... I tried to have a menu item of About Us... and to put a submenu
  where I list each Staff member as it were, with a link to their bio, which is setup with
  the Profile module.  I just added a Biography paragraph form entry to each user's
  profile.  Most of the time, even when I select About Us to be "Expanded," it doesn't
  even show the submenu at all!  It's not expanded and you can't get to the submenu at
  all.  I want some way to list information about the staff of the publication.  Even if the way I'm doing it is not optimal or best, it's not working at all!
      I also find that when I logout, many menu items, when selected tell the Visitor (anonymous user) that they don't have permission to access the page.  They can't access
  the Submit poem page (form), because they don't have permission it says!  Why would it
  do that?  I did give permission for users/visitors to create content.
     The menus also display and opperate differently for Visitors as compared to when I
  log in to the site.  Sometimes that submenu, that won't display for me, when I'm logged
  on to the site, will display expanded for an anonymous visitor!  Talk about wierd!
       So, I'll create an account called Assistant for anyone that could take a few minutes to
  look at this, to help me and I'll pass on the password.
  David, and/or anyone else, please let me know if you can check this out on my site
  and see what is going on... hopefully it won't take too long for someone experienced.  I
  really haven't done much at all to the site.  So,  hopefully I didn't mess things up too much
  yet.
  Thanks,
  Bruce