[support] Bad URL goes out to 100 people - Best Practice in the Wake

philip at philipnet.com philip at philipnet.com
Mon Aug 4 18:46:36 UTC 2008

Quoting "Shai Gluskin" <shai at content2zero.com>:

> Support Peoples,
>
> I sent out a URL to 100 people that had a period "." appended.
>
> Was: example.com/page.
> Should have been: example.com/page
>
> I sent it 3 hours ago and just discovered it a few minutes ago. I'm dreading
> going in to my log file to see all the page not founds... The short term
> answer is to create a path alias "example.com/page." that points to "
> example.com/page".
>
> In the longer run, though, I'm worried about messing up my Google Analytics
> statistics -- people bookmarking the page which will then reinforce the
> problem, etc, etc...
>
> Is there a more elegant solution to this?

GlobalRedirect - I think - will help.
http://drupal.org/project/globalredirect

GlobalRedirect (which is beneficial for SEO in general) does a number
of things including:
  * Checks the current URL for an alias and does a 301 redirect to it
if it is not being used.
Provided that example.com/page. is an alias for example.com/page (and
it sound like it is), if you install and enable GlobalRedirect and
user accessing example.com/page. would automatically be redirected to
example.com/page
Users would never bookmark example.com/page. as it's not shown in the
web browser for long enough!

However, please check that you are happy with *all* the effects of
GlobalRedirect before installing and enabling the module.

Regards.

Phil L.
--
http://www.philipnet.com/