[translations] A couple of untranslated strings in 5.x core

Gabor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Tue Jul 17 06:29:00 UTC 2007

Vasileios Lourdas wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2007 09:08:17 Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
>> if
>> English is not the desired target language. Content type names are not
>> translatable beyond the installer still (unfortunately).
>
> Why is this an issue? Is it some kind of a technical issue? Surely, I'm not
> familiar with the inner workings of Drupal, but this behaviour seems a bit
> strange to me.
>
> Ok, so let's say, that I start the Drupal installation using another language
> pack. Then, would the opposite apply, that is, will I have these two content
> types translated in my language and untranslated in English?

Content type names, site settings (site name, slogan, footer text, etc),
aggregator categories and feed titles, profile field labels, user
defined menus and taxonomy terms are all single-language objects in
Drupal 6 still.

This is due to technical issues, which are not yet solved (there was not
enough manpower working on this task quite unfortunately). We have gone
a long way in Drupal 6, but it is not yet a complete multilingual
system. What is translatable with built-in functions:

  - built-in menu items (provided by modules)
  - all of the built in interface (help texts, the installer, forms, etc)
  - every string in JavaScript code
  - log messages
  - content (posts)

You can notice that only the posts are user defined data here, while all
the elements I listed above as being single-language are user defined.
You will need to use some contributed module with Drupal 6 too (like
i18n or localizer) to get these translated.

Drupal 5 does not provide JavaScript translation, proper log message
localization and content translation.

Gabor