[consulting] How Do You Market Your Services?

Michael Haggerty mhaggerty at trellon.com
Sun Aug 10 23:41:34 UTC 2008

My name is Michael Haggerty and I am the Chief Internet Strategist for
Trellon.

Trellon has generally not engaged in any form of marketing in the
past, and our sales have been mostly opportunistic. The only real
outreach we have done is through listings on the Drupal.org web site
and sponsorships of various conferences and events. Our general
approach to new business has been to wait for clients to find us
through word of mouth, which has been pretty effective but does have
some steep ups and downs in the long term.

After collecting some feedback from clients and peers, I am about to
invest in a marketing program for the company. Before making the
investment, I have been seeking as many perspectives as I can to
maximize the potential for success.

So, questions for this list:

1) In general, what forms of marketing are most effective for Drupal
companies outside of word of mouth?

2) Is it better to have a FTE doing marketing or talk to an outside
firm?

3) Is it better to emphasize the fact you are a Drupal shop, or to
talk about Drupal in the context of the other services you provide?

Best Regards,
Michael Haggerty

Michael Haggerty | Chief Internet Strategist | Trellon, LLC

web www.trellon.com | email mhaggerty at trellon.com
tel 240 643 6561 | aim haggerty321