[consulting] DrupalCOM: european Small Business distro

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Dec 16 00:01:24 UTC 2005

Bèr Kessels wrote:
> Op donderdag 15 december 2005 19:44, schreef Laura Scott:
>
>> I don't mean to be contrarian here. That's just my own business
>> philosophy. I don't turn away a client ready to buy, but I don't want to
>> disable features just to lower the site to his/her expectations.
>>

> Laura,
>
> we are not discussing removal *forever*. In fact what I want to achieve with
> this DrupalCOM is precisely what yyou want.
>
> Only i think that trowing people into the deep, jsut like that is a bad route
> to take. Hell, still 90% of the inter-net surfers does so on IE, while anyone
> knows that safari/firefox/konq/opera is waaaay better. And Just Installing
> [tm] Firefox for them often makes them even more like
>  Open Source is poop. Look: My Favorite Movie Trailer Watch Site, or My Bank
> doesnt even work in it.

 I was objecting to disabling capabilities of Drupal, which at least one
person endorsed. I'm glad you're not advocating that.
> Same goes for Drupal. If they do *not* want logins, or *not* want Posted By
> Nathaly on 12 / 12 / 05, they might have a reason for that. But if you go
> ahead and tell them they really need it, they will get angry.

I consider these to be theming decisions. No date, no byline? That's a
UI decision that boils down to theming work. Most brochure-type sites I
do have, at most, an "updated 10 Dec 2005" kind of text, usually down at
the bottom of the page, and have date/author info only on the blog (if
there is one). But I don't consider this to be changing the function of
Drupal, just the presentation of the info, which includes what info to
present. Does this alternate distro make that easier somehow?

I think we might be in heated agreement on goals. Yes, you want to
accommodate the clients' needs. But they don't always know the best way
to do that, and if they cannot trust your advice on that, then it's a
wonder they're writing any checks for the work.

And before another straw man is set up, no, I'm not suggesting anyone
argue with their clients. :p  Sure, some just want what they know they
want, and don't want to be bothered with things they might not know, but
in my experience these people are rare and tend not to stay in business
long. Most of our clients WANT to learn. Maybe that's because most of
them are coming to us because we work with Drupal, and not because we're
just XYZ web designers, so that certainly makes our client base
self-selective.

Laura